Sunday, May 22, 2005

Saturday makes the week...

So I'm at home today in recoignition of David's graduation. Mind you, I didn't actually attend, the 6 tickets were utilized by parents, grandparents, and a girlfriend, I was the home director of festivities (Very much a made up on the spot title just now). Basically I cleaned up the house and ordered the pizza (more on that later), but the true tale of the party begins yesterday.

I had all of one mission to accomplish before the party, well, before Saturday started that's all I had, the list exploded exponentially on Saturday, but that's a bit further on. Either way, this mission was the sucessful retrieval of an Oreo Cheesecake from Micks, which is located in Lenox, which is near the apartment. So, I made my way to Micks, which took a bit more guesswork than I would have liked because I forgot where it was (for those keeping score at home, it's right next to the California Pizza Kitchen). So, I get there and ask the seating guy what I should do if I'm there to pick up a cheesecake, he directs me to the bar, tells me to ask there. So, I go in, and the following conversation is had:
Me: "I'm here to pick up a cheesecake."
Bartender: "A cheesecake to go?"
"Yes, an Oreo Cheesecake."
"I don't see any takeout orders on the list."
"Hmm, that can't be right."
"So, did you just need a slice of Oreo Cheesecake?"
"No, an entire cheesecake."
"An order like that would take...wait, did you call in earlier?"
"Yes, the order was placed yesterday."
"Alright, let me check."
At this point she gets the manager of the place, who, after an exploration of the back, discovers that they do indeed have a complete Oreo Cheesecake in the back. He goes to get things together, discovers they don't actually have any cake takeout boxes, proceeds to wrap in it saran wrap with circular cardboard protection (a valid way to do things, just less elegant). Elapsed time, about 15-20 minutes. So I take my precious cake and head home.

Important detail one, my bed at the apartment is my bed from home.
Important detail two, we don't have a guest bed in my house.
This means I slept on the sofa, not for the first time, but I definately prefer a nice bed.

I get up fairly early (8:30 ish), hard not to with everyone else being awake already and proceed to get into my cleaning and such. I even shaved, mostly because it's getting to be a hassle to have to wait on the Food Court employees to decide that my Student ID does probably look like what I'd look like without the facial hair. Then I get a phone call. Kyle's car battery is dead, and he'd like either a ride or a jump, I figure I've got the cables, and can provide a ride should that fail. Jiaz o course won't be up for a good 4-5 more hours. So I drive down to the apartment, we mutually discover that jumping is not sucessful (for the record, Dead's Positive, Live's Positive, Live's Negative, Grounded (usually Dead's engine block) is the proper way to jump) so I just give him a ride back to his house and then to work. I go home, spend a meager amount of time discovering how the starting levels of Guild Wars are since Ian had finially relinquished his grasp on the computer. I'll talk about my limited experience with the game later. So, then I head out to get some pizza's because it's about time for graduation to be ending and the relatives to be showing up. So I head over and order 4 large pepperoni, 1 large cheese, 3 large sausage, and 1 giant anchovy and black olives. Manager's new hire is pretty bumbling, much to the annoyance of the manager, but my order does eventually get completed, along with the 3 large greek salads I needed, and I somehow manage to maneuver all of that out to my car in one go; quite the sight to see I'd imagine. Get home and have a get together with relatives. David will be going to Oxford @ Emory, just to quell everyone who's going to be asking me. Conversations within the relatives tend to get very stream of consciousness at times, it's pretty interesting to deal with, scary to outsiders though, how everything just kinda flows along in conversation. Meal finishes, most of the relatives move on to other places, the remainder plans a few hands of cancelation hearts (I lose, not by a huge margin, but a loss is a loss). David's glad to have all the pomp and circumstance behind him so we go play a few rounds of Halo II online, I do rather well for once, several fall before our combined might. Ian has all this time retained his death grip on the computer. I boot up Tales of Symphonia and plunge a bit closer to the end, find inceasing amounts of dialog and dialog and steadily decreasing actual gameplay, FFX-esce anti-game game trance sets in (play FFX, you'll understand). Ian eventually gives up the computer, I play a bit more of Guild Wars, find that I've missed talking to a few people online, check anime releases.

Father takes over the computer for online D&D, I resume Tales of Symphonia. The last two hours of the game contained all of 5 fights, 3 laughably easy, 1 nice and challenging, and one that perhaps would have been challenging had I not elected to take a party of fast hitting characters rather than a mix of spellcasters and melee. Last 2 hours also contained about 3 or 4 anime-drawn cutscenes. The game as a whole contains 2 more than that, if you count the opening of the game as one. I'll maybe mess with the New Game+ features another weekend when I have a few hours to spare of less than prime online time.

But yeah, that's been my weekend so far. Tomorrow looks to be finally getting a piece of Random Curiosity as well as misc Physics work and bookkeeping on my part.