Sunday, May 30, 2004

Alright, since I seem to have an abundance of free time I think I'll beat out some words, especially because everything else that's text based seems to be revolting against me. Just ask D'Oraz, the resume I sent him has Georgia misspelled, twice. Sometimes I wonder why I lose my mind only when it's important. Either way, I'm functionally not employed with the UPS Store because David took my hours because mother wanted him to do so after I got a job. So he did, not inclusive of that ending clause, oh well, there's still stuff out there, I will find some, and I will buy a CRV, now just hopefully I'll get parking.

Anyways, just some discussion of the seasons animes should pass the time nicely:

Ragnarok the Animation: Well, what can I say, it's based off a MMORPG (pronounce however you choose) that I've never played, but isn't too difficult to figure out. Pretty non Ecchi, thankfully, and actually gets Subbed, which is even nicer. Characters aren't especially non-generic and the spell selection seems woefully small, for the two casters that there are. Actually the only anime I've seen that had hints of rape, and it did it in a peaceful manner (if that's possible, I was merely trying to convey that they brought out the pain of it without focusing on it sort of thing, so a delicate handling if you will). Music here isn't too fabulous, but the art is alright, though there are points that make you wonder. Characters development does appear to be somewhat happening, but the inclusion of the force that is essentially the Team Rocket of the anime isn't really a selling point, neither is Maya, although her background episode weakened that thought. Not everything makes total sense, like them doing adventures that were killing high level parties, but that's alright, it's an anime, I'll give it that. Either way, ***(*/2).

Midori no Hibi : Cindy's anime for the season. A high quality art, good music anime with good characters and it apparently at least stays with the Manga for most of it so far, or so I'm told. Slightly ecchi, but bounce-free, which actually seems like an odd balance compared to the rest of these, but it's workable. Also one of the two anime's that my little brother keeps trying to watch. Which is a shame, because I'd much rather he be watching the more child friendly ones, like Keroro Gunso or Ragnarok, though if he had to choose an ecchi, this'd be the safest I think. Overall a fabulously cute anime with good dynamics (unlike the sometimes emotionless Ragnarok) even if the cat looks kinda creepy and not really feline at all. ****(*/2).

Keroro Gunso (aka Sergeant Keroro) : Besides having an outrageous OP and ED, both of which are potentially frightening (aka, Sean, you need at least the first ep of this for special viewings to use on people, it's not Kenya, but it's a frog with an afro, at least for the ED). That said, the anime is very low ecchi, but I don't think I can call it devoid. Hangs onto a few route archetypes though, for example the main female character is the uber-athletic girl who is not in any clubs and there's another with a crush on her, but that's anime for you. Lots of Gundam references on the part of Keroro, and it has alot of sudden banners to reinforce some his statements, well done though. The actual in show music isn't quite so much, but then again, it takes some getting used to the frog's voice, especially his laughter. ***

Melody of Oblivion: Like Midori no Hibi, this anime actually has a relaxed opening, and it's definately a nice change of pace from the others. It's really a shame that it's only been subbed up to episode 3, but then again, that's the dynamics of the industry (if you'll allow the term), though one'd think that having 6+ groups on Naruto might be a bit much, popular or not. Oh well. Fantastic music and lovely art abound, though it is a pain not being able to name the classical songs they play because my classical music trivia knowledge has fallen that much into disarray. A true shame. ****, probably deserves another star or a half, but hard to judge this early.

Sensei no Ojikan : Kinda like the souless bastard child of Azumanga. It has roughly the same idea, following the exploits of a group of students and teacher and assorted other faculty members (this time it's a nurse, and not Kimura). In place of the Kaorin/Sakaki relationship, it's been tranferred to a male/male relation and the male-Sakaki bit is alot less shy, and a whole lot more stupid, but to each their own. Has a cutesy style of low quality art methods, including displaying the emotions of every character in characters (read it a few times, I swear it makes sense). I like the music, but it just kinda feels like a weak echo to Azumanga, cause it's really hard to follow an act like that. **(*/2).

Bakuretsu Tenchi : 4 girls of various age, 1 giant mecha, 1 giant mecha storage vehicle, 1 sports car, 1 chibi creature/laptop, 1 gang, 1 secret government/military/special interest organization, 1 anti-establishment organization, biological mutation weapons, 1 reluctant male chef. There you go, that's just about all you need to know. A fantastic OP, though I don't really love the ED the other music really compesates, and a good mix to action, paired with humor, cuteness, seriousness, mystery. You get the idea. It's a very unique anime with alot still to be unraveled, but at the pace it's going I think it'll be good. Again, wish someone was subbing it, but que sera sera I guess. ****(*/2).

Samurai Champloo : I think Jiaz said it best. Take Cowboy Bebop and replace the Jazz with Hiphop and the Bounty Hunters with Samurai swordmen. Then replace Faye with Fuu, whose has perhaps the largest eyes I've ever seen in a non-chibi and her even larger eyed flying squirrel. If you're not into the hiphop/rap scene, the music takes some getting used to, otherwise, it's great fun. Even if the subbers ride on the profane side of translation. 1 ep so far, second delayed by olympic volleyball qualifiers overtime. *****

I'll discuss Popotan after I finish it, which is some 3 eps from now. All I have to say right now is, why does Mare has a techno remix of the main theme?